It was a long time in waiting butAutoCAD was finally available for Mac for the first time last year. The good news is it offers everything that's available in the Windows version but takes advantage of a much more intuitive and elegant Mac interface.
Firstly, note that the download provided here is the Akamai Client Installer for AutoCAD which automatically installs the software for you. You'll need a whopping 2.5GB of free hard drive space to ensure you can download and install AutoCAD for Mac properly.
Those that have used AutoCAD on Windows will instantly recognize the familiar AutoCAD interface and layout. The commands and tools are exactly the same. For those that haven’t used AutoCAD before, you're in for a very steep learning curve although the intuitive interface, extensive documentation and context-sensitive help functions in AutoCAD for Mac make life a lot easier.
AutoCAD for Mac looks much slicker than the Windows version and takes full advantage of OS X, including use of Cover Flow, Multi-Touch gestures, Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. You can of course create and edit DWG files natively and you can collaborate on projects across platforms with customers, clients, colleagues etc.
It's impossible to avoid the fact that AutoCAD is one of the most expensive packages there is for Mac but the developers AutoDesk have made a superb offer to students and educators. They can get a three year license absolutely free which means you can use AutoCAD completely for free for three years although a watermark is added to designs. Alternatively, students and educators in the US and Canada can purchase an unlimited license with no watermark for a 90% discount on the full price.
AutoCAD for Mac has been a long time in coming but CAD professionals will agree it was definitely worth the wait.
Slick OS X interface
Takes advantage of Magic Mouse, Trackpad, Multi-Touch etc
Create and edit DWG files natively
Free three year license for educators and students
Very large download file
Intimidating for beginners
Enjoy greater productivity while creating 3D designs and speed documentation with the powerful connected design tools.
AutoCAD 2014 software includes design feed for rich social collaboration with project stakeholders, plus live maps and enhanced reality-capture tools to connect your design ideas to real-world environments. Customize AutoCAD software with the help of our global community of AutoCAD developers.
Connect and streamline your design workflow with new social collaboration tools, time-saving enhancements, live maps, and powerful reality capture capabilities. With Autodesk AutoCAD 2014 3D CAD software, you can now:
- Connect your designs to the real world around you with live maps. A coordinate system library introduces real environments directly inside the AutoCAD canvas.
- Produce more precise, true-to-life designs with powerful new reality capture capabilities. Point cloud functionality is enhanced to support the ability to attach point cloud project or scan files, including RCP and RCS formats.
- Improve client communication and project workflows with new design feed social collaboration tools. Keep clients and team members up-to-date with new sharing capabilities. Streamline feedback and project management to keep projects on track.
- Share your designs with your social world using built-in connections for Facebook and Twitter.
- Spend more time being productive and less time on common repetitive tasks with enhanced intelligent command lines that minimize interruptions throughout the design process with AutoCorrect, adaptive suggestions, and synonym suggestions and Autocomplete support during mid-string searches.
- Improve design speed with new file tabs that provide a visual, faster way to switch between open drawings or create and open additional drawings.
- Customize AutoCAD to help meet your design needs with an integrated connection to Autodesk Exchange Apps. Extend the power of your software using AutoCAD companion apps created by members of the Autodesk Developer Network.
- Design more intuitively with an enhanced user interface, now available on the Windows® 8 operating system.
"Autocad Mac is horrible"
I am a longtime Autocad user and I took a chance on the Mac. What a mistake. I'm going right back.
Not one good thing to say.
User interfaces different, confusing and absolutely non-intuitive. What a disaster.
Laws concerning the use of this software vary from country to country. We do not encourage or condone the use of this program if it is in violation of these laws.
We use own and third party cookies to improve our services and your experience. This includes to personalise ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you continue browsing, you are considered to have accepted such use. You may change your cookie preferences and obtain more information here.
Photos, videos, artwork,... do you like to create cool things with the assistance of your computer?
Help us with only 2 minutes of your time by answering this survey